Prompt: Put your iPod on shuffle and write 10 songs that pop up.
If music be the food of love… play on…
Music. I love it. It can speak to my soul, turn my day around, allow me to completely indulge in my emotions, bring back memories… It is so powerful. I remember listening to Rick Dees and the Weekly Top 40, waiting for my favorite songs to come on so that I could record them on cassette tape. Yeah, I was that kid in grade school/junior high. In honor of the Weekly Top 40, I have decided to post 40 songs instead of the original 10, along with a few descriptions of what they mean to me along with some links. This should give you some insight as to how totally random my music selection is. Enjoy.
1. “Kill Caustic”/AFI/December Underground – I love this album. It is great for working out or just blasting in traffic.
2. “You Found Me”/Kelly Clarkson/Breakaway
3. “I Write Sins Not Tragedies”/Panic! at the Disco/A Fever You Can’t Sweat Out
4. “Follow Your Heart”/Hunter Foster & Musical Cast Recording/Urinetown – This musical really cracks me up. Super fun! The harmony on “laughter and gladness” is one of my all-time favorites (about 6:33 on the link). So hot!
5. “La Vie Boheme B”/Movie Cast/RENT – Although I think the album was over played, this music is beautiful. Love it.
7. “St. Louis Blue March”/BBC Big Band Orchestra/Best of Big Bands – I adore Big Band. Adore.
8. “Everyone Looks So Good From Here”/Underoath/Define the Great Line – I went through a screamo phase. This is left over from that, obviously.
9. “Drive Away”/The All-American Rejects/The All-American Rejects – I still absolutely love this album. Everything about it reminds me of spending my summers at the lake. Great tunes (including this one) and good memories.
10. “Stay Home”/?/Shrek Original Motion Picture
11. “Different As Can Be (Reprise)”/Brian Rosenthal & Joe Walker/A Very Potter Musical – If you love Harry Potter and laughing, please, for your own sake, watch this musical on YouTube. So creative and really entertaining!
12. “Have I Got A Girl for You”/Original Broadway Cast/Company – This is probably one of my least favorite musicals, maybe because I did a report on it for a class. Sorry, but it’s true.
13. “I Can’t Give You Anything But Love”/Dinah Shore/Love Songs from WWII Vol. 1 – Continuing the 40s musical style. This song is so beautiful! The link is the Judy Garland rendition.
14. “Façade (Reprise)”/Various Artists/Jekyll & Hyde – Awesome musical. Awesome subject. Anything to do with Jekyll & Hyde automatically has me hooked. Also check out the BBC Miniseries (has nothing to do with the musical). Brilliant.
15. “Bali Ha’i”/Charlotte Church/Enchantment – Good album. Not my favorite song.
16. “Stompin’ at the Savoy”/Michael Maxwell & His Orchestra/Satin Doll – LOVE this song.
17. “I’ll Try”/Return to Neverland/Disney’s Greatest, Vol. 3
18. “Crazy”/K-Ci & JoJo/Now That’s What I Call Music Vol. 6 – Haha! I remember calling in to the local radio station (Magic 95) and requesting this song. I may have even anonymously dedicated it once. O, junior high. I was also in love with the movie Save the Last Dance.
19. “Once Upon A Dream”/Bill Shirley & Mary Costa/Music of Disney: A Legacy in Song – I have lots of Disney albums. Good stuff.
20. “Under African Skies”/Paul Simon/Graceland
21. “Allie Returns”/Aaron Zigman/The Notebook – I have only seen the movie a handful of times, but I absolutely love Zigman’s arrangements. The Main Title is my favorite. So beautiful. The other music on the soundtrack is equally awesome.
22. “Entr’ Acte”/Orchestra/Fiddler on the Roof – Not a huge fan of Fiddler. I will only watch it if I have a friend in the show.
23. “You’ve Really Gone and Done It Now”/Duncan Sheik/Whisper House – Listen to this album. I first got interested in Duncan Sheik because of Spring Awakening. He writes such interesting music. Check this one out: Earthbound Starlight.
24. “I Caught Fire in Your Eyes”/The Used/In Love and Death
25. “Hurt Feelings“/Flight of the Conchords/Hurt Feelings – Single – These guys make me laugh so much. So fun to sing/rap along to in the car… especially with a kooky roommate.
26. “No Tears”/Scarface/Office Space – Haha. Great soundtrack. Hilarious movie.
27. “The 59th Street Bridge Song (Live)”/Simon & Garfunkel/Greatest Hits – I am one of those people who is often bothered by live recordings. The audience noise makes me angry. But I love Simon and Garfunkel!
28. “XO”/Fall Out Boy/From Under the Cork Tree
29. “Whatever It Takes”/Leona Lewis/Spirit
30. “Let the Cool Goddess Rust Away”/Clap Your Hands Say Yeah/Clap Your Hands Say Yeah – Good album. Mhmm.
31. “Losing My Way”/Justin Timberlake/Future Sex/Love Sounds – Great workout album! Of course, you probably already knew that.
32. “How Come”/Ray LaMontagne/Trouble – If you don’t know who this is, you should check him out NOW. Great album.
33. “I Won’t Mind”/Audra McDonald/How Glory Goes – This song makes me cry/gives me chills. Every time. So incredibly sweet. Audra has such an amazing voice.
34. “Seasons of the Heart”/John Denver/Country Roads Collection – Love John Denver. It’s the country girl in me. My favorite song though, for purely silly reasons, is this song.
35. “It Wasn’t Me”/Shaggy/Now That’s What I Call Music 4 – Ugh. This is one of those songs that I really can’t stand, for so many reasons. 1. Subject matter. Really? You think your girl is stupid enough that she is going to believe that it wasn’t you she saw? Really? 2. The guys’ voices. Not a fan. 3. It gets stuck in my head if I happen to hear so much as a measure. Also, notice this is yet another Now That’s What I Call Music album.
36. “Conga”/Gloria Estafan/Shark Tale Soundtrack – Haha! This song is fun. No shame.
37. “Welcome Home”/Coheed & Cambria/Good Apollo, I’m Burning Star IV, Volume One: From Fear Though the Eyes of Madness – Good stuff. Yep.
38. “How Long Has This Been Going On?”/Kristin Chenoweth/Let Yourself Go – Great album! So many fun songs. So proud of Kristin, a fellow OCU-er and a total sweetheart!
39. “Little Sister”/Jewel/Pieces of You – I still love this album. Good song.
40. “Anthem for American Teenagers”/Jon McLaughlin/Indiana – Wow. I just love this album. Every song is beautiful. I think Beautiful Disaster is my favorite, though. He’s so multitalented… and a total cutie pie, too!
Well, there you go! A little musical glimpse of my life!